Sunday, March 9, 2008

Initiative

Webster describes initiative as the first step, or the ability to get things started. I have written in the past about setting goals. That is really a good place to start, but once the plan is in place an action must be made to fulfill the goal. It doesn't have to require that the goal is met immediately, but that the goal is being worked on, baby step by baby step if need be, until the project is complete or the goal is reached.

In my past perfection, I would often freeze at the fact that I would not be able to complete something, or I would start with the assumption that I would FINISH the task what ever it was, and I would finish it with what ever the cost to me and other priorities. I have now learned to break jobs into smaller tasks, to do what I can in the time I have, even if if is only ten or fifteen minutes, and be content with the results that I get. In reality, I am getting so much more done this way in all parts of my life.

I have also discovered that I will never get anything done if I wait until I feel like it. I have to admit, there have been many times that that was my excuse. I simply didn't feel like getting something done, and since it wasn't a "have-to" at the moment, something else, and not necessarily something more important, was done instead. I have learned a few lessons over time and now I like to live by the Nike slogan, "Just Do It." If I get started it will eventually get done. Each time I work toward a goal I get closer to meeting it. If I don't get started then it has a negative effect on me every time I think about it. In fact, I do not enjoy lolling around, if I haven't taken initiate with my ongoing goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment