Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Snow Day

The phone rang this morning at 4:33 a.m. It was the counselor from my school starting our limb of the phone tree. As soon as I had pushed the off button of my home phone, my cell phone beeped to signal I had received a text. I pulled my cell out of my purse and read that my son's school was cancelled for the day as well. I called the next person on my school's calling list and got an answering machine, left a message and then went down the line to call the next sleeping individual. As a teacher, I meet a snow day with mixed emotions. First is the initial joy of having a bonus day off, a holiday of sorts. Then comes the realization that lesson plans are going to have to be shifted and meetings are going to have to be rescheduled. Then my mind reverts back to that childish instinct, "But it's a SNOW DAY!!" So I can go back to bed and sleep in for a while, or get up and start my day home with the kids. Or, as I did on this snowy February morning, both.

So what do I do when given a day of extra time? I have actually cleared my desk. That is a feat. I have started tax preparations, but need to have uninterrupted time to finish. I have put all of my scrapbook supplies into groups of like items into drawers in my file cabinet. I have boxed up some craft supplies to drop off next week, and put ones that I want to use, but are not scrapbook supplies, into a tub and inventoried the contents.

Over the course of the day I have been a momma penguin, bird, rabbit and fox. Daniel has been the baby of each said animal throughout the day as well. He loves to pretend he is some kind of animal and I am always his momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment